Supporting Economic Development Initiatives in Labrador
June 29, 2022
The Honourable Andrew Parsons, Minister of Industry, Energy and Technology, delivered the keynote address today at Expo Labrador 2022 in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.
While at the conference, Minister Parsons announced nearly $141,000 in support for five recent economic development projects. Support for these projects demonstrates a focus on small businesses and economic development partners in Labrador, and contributes to the Provincial Government’s commitment to strengthen the province’s economic foundation.
- DJ Group of Companies, owner and operator of the Atsanik Hotel in Nain and the Amaguk Hotel in Hopedale, received $45,761 to advance operational improvements in its two properties.
- Nunacor, which assists with business development opportunities on behalf of NunatuKavut, and helps generate sustainable dividends for reinvestment in its communities, received $41,900 for marketing activities, including a new website and branding.
- Located on the scenic Pinware River in southern Labrador, Big Land Fishing Lodge is an adventure tourism company that caters to salmon and trout fishers. It received $27,647 to advance a series of marketing initiatives.
- Presented by the Labrador West Chamber of Commerce, MINEx Symposium in September 2022 will focus on regional, national and international development, diversification and innovation of the mining industry in Labrador West. To support the delivery of the conference and related marketing materials, it received $21,044.
- The Labrador Research Forum, which is a biennial forum that highlights knowledge, experiences and innovative research activities conducted in Labrador, received $4,450
“Our government is pleased to be a partner in supporting economic development initiatives across Labrador, aimed at strengthening the region’s economy. It is great to be in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, surrounded by so many creative innovators and industry leaders, to celebrate the many opportunities that lay ahead in Labrador.”
Honourable Andrew Parsons
Minister of Industry, Energy and Technology
“The Provincial Government is pleased to invest in people and communities in the Big Land. These projects demonstrate that small businesses and organizations in Labrador are capitalizing on opportunities to grow the economy in Labrador.”
Honourable Lisa Dempster
Minister Responsible for Labrador Affairs and Minister Responsible for Indigenous Affairs and Reconciliation
“This has been a very positive project for our company, and we anticipate a great deal of new business initiatives from their findings. Thank you once again to the Department of Industry, Energy and Technology for their support.”
Donna Stokes- Lane
Project Manager, DJ Group of Companies
– 30 –
Regional Economic Development
Business Development Support Program
Big Land Fishing Lodge
Labrador Research Forum
Industry, Energy and Technology
Labrador Affairs Secretariat
Office of Indigenous Affairs and Reconciliation
DJ Group of Companies