Order of Nova Scotia Recipients Announced for 2021
December 7, 2021
Five Nova Scotians who have enriched the province in unique ways have been appointed to the Order of Nova Scotia.
Lt.-Gov. Arthur J. LeBlanc, Chancellor of the Order of Nova Scotia, released the names of the Order’s newest members, today, December 7. The announcement also marks the 20th anniversary of the Order’s establishment.
“As we celebrate 20 years of excellence, I am greatly impressed by those who have been appointed to the Order of Nova Scotia” said Lt.-Gov. LeBlanc. “Their accomplishments are outstanding, and they are exemplary citizens.”
The 2021 recipients of the Order of Nova Scotia are:
- Ronald Bourgeois, Chéticamp: songwriter, artist, producer and cultural ambassador
- Lee Cohen, Halifax: lawyer, social justice advocate, refugee clinic organizer and mentor
- Saeed El-Darahali, Dartmouth: business founder, entrepreneur, educator, board member and engaged volunteer
- Paula Marshall, Eskasoni: Mi’kmaq rights advocate, restorative justice leader, legal support network organizer and public speaker
- Wanda Robson, North Sydney: human rights advocate, author, public speaker, and community leader.
In early 2022, an investiture ceremony will be held at Government House where the Lieutenant-Governor will present each of the new members with their insignia and appointment scroll.
- the Order of Nova Scotia is the highest honour in the Province of Nova Scotia, recognizing those who have distinguished themselves in many fields of endeavour and have made lasting contributions
- 110 members have been invested into the Order of Nova Scotia since it was established in June 2001
- appointments to the Order are made by the Lieutenant-Governor on the recommendation of an independent advisory council
- nominations for the 2022 Order of Nova Scotia honours list will be accepted by the Protocol and Honours Secretariat until March 19, 2022.
A video celebrating 20 years of the Order of Nova Scotia is available at: https://youtu.be/jYJxEZ7GeOE
Information and nomination forms are available online through the Honours and Protocol Secretariat at: https://novascotia.ca/iga/order.asp
Office of the Lieutenant Governor 902-424-3000 Cell: 902-222-7608 Email: [email protected]
Order of Nova Scotia 902-424-7050 Cell: 902-220-0140 Email: [email protected]