Member of Parliament Chris Warkentin announces Celebrate Canada support for 12 organizations
June 16, 2015 – Grande Prairie, Alberta – Department of Canadian Heritage
Today, 12 organizations in northwestern Alberta received support to present local celebrations as part of the Celebrate Canada program. Chris Warkentin, Member of Parliament for Peace River and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Public Works and Government Services, announced a total of $37,075 in funding for activities to mark National Aboriginal Day, Canadian Multiculturalism Day and Canada Day.
Mr. Warkentin made this announcement on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.
- The Celebrate Canada period includes National Aboriginal Day on June 21, Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day on June 24, Canadian Multiculturalism Day on June 27 and Canada Day on July 1.
- The City of Grande Prairie will receive funding for Canada Day, Canadian Multiculturalism Day and National Aboriginal Day programming.
- Nine organizations will receive funding for their Canada Day programming: the towns of Fairview, Grimshaw, Manning, Peace River and Valleyview; the village of Rycroft; the Smoky River Tourist Association; and the La Crete, and Eaglesham and District agricultural societies.
- The Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation in Valleyview will receive funding for National Aboriginal Day programming.
- The Zone 6 North West Development Society in Peace River will receive funding for Canadian Multiculturalism Day programming.
- In 2014, the Government of Canada invested in more than 1,600 projects and events across the country through the Celebrate Canada program.
“Our Government is pleased to provide this investment to offer Canadians access to engaging cultural experiences, including opportunities to learn about Canada’s history, heritage and culture. These celebrations allow us to explore our pride and reflect upon our great accomplishments as a nation as we move closer to the 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017.”
—The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
“The Celebrate Canada period offers opportunities for communities to come together to share in our collective history and celebrate living in a free, democratic and strong nation. I encourage everyone in the Peace Country to go take part in these celebrations and others across Alberta. Our Government is proud to be part of these wonderful activities.”
—Chris Warkentin, Member of Parliament for Peace River and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Public Works and Government Services
Celebrate Canada program
History of Canada Day
The Canada 150 Fund
For more information (media only), please contact:
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
Regional Communications Manager