BLACKLISTED’: N.S. First Nation pulls commercial lobster boats from water – CANOE

    You can use your smart phone to browse stories in the comfort of your hand. Simply browse this site on your smart phone.

    Using an RSS Reader you can access most recent stories and other feeds posted on this network.

    SNetwork Recent Stories

BLACKLISTED’: N.S. First Nation pulls commercial lobster boats from water – CANOE

by ahnationtalk on October 22, 202032 Views

HALIFAX — The chief of the First Nation behind a disputed moderate livelihood lobster fishery in Nova Scotia says recent vandalism and the loss of potential sales have cost the band more than $1.5 million — and he wants those responsible to be held accountable.

Mike Sack, chief of the Sipekne’katik First Nation, also alleged the band had been blacklisted by lobster buyers.

“The (non-Indigenous) commercial fishery has systematically boxed us out of the market,” Sack said in a statement. “It will take time to rebuild our relationships in the supply chain of people and companies we did business with who are now rightly afraid of retaliation.”

Sack told reporters the band filed an application for a court injunction aimed at preventing people from harassing Indigenous fishers at the wharf in Saulnierville, N.S., where the livelihood fleet is based.

Read More: https://canoe.com/news/national/blacklisted-n-s-first-nation-pulls-commercial-lobster-boats-from-water

Send To Friend Email Print Story

Comments are closed.

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More