Title: Manager – Emergency Operations
Location: Canada (flexible)
Employment status: Permanent Full Time
Salary band: $59,542 – $86,832
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a Manager – Emergency Operations to join our team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
We are looking for a Manager – Emergency Operations who will work with the Senior Manager of Emergency Operations. The Manager, Emergency Operations will provide skilled and dedicated leadership for Canadian Red Cross in international emergency management and operational excellence, as framed by the Canadian Red Cross’ mission, vision, and strategy.
As a member of the Emergency Management Canada and International (EMCI) team, the Manager, Emergency Operations will further the success of the CRC’s matrix model, advance operational objectives, and improve organizational agility. The Manager, Emergency Operations will contribute to the EMCI mandate to ensure the optimal selection, mobilization, and management of CRC response options to international emergencies and in support to Canadian emergencies.
In this role, you will:
- Manage all program activities as per identified goals, objectives, and operating principles, and within established budgets, timeframes, and compliance requirements, including:
- Administration of EDAF and NFI contributions, including monitoring, analysis, and green light requests to the Government of Canada
- Financial management, oversight and reporting of CRC and GoC emergency relief supply stockpiles and allocations
- The completion of EDAF monitoring and evaluation activities including, but not limited to, coordinating or undertaking EDAF monitoring missions abroad, and updating/improving EDAF monitoring tools.
- Reporting including reporting on Performance Management Framework indicators and developing work plans.
- Annual Operational Plans for EDAF-related projects
- Collaborate with technical advisors and relevant members of the finance, PMER, PGIE, SCM and other teams to ensure quality program management, evaluation, and record keeping.
- In coordination with the Emergency Readiness Team, support the procurement, maintenance and quality control of emergency items in liaison with the SCM team and GoC
- Coordinate with IFRC to ensure appropriate implementation and management of CRC contributions; coordinate with other units within the CRC (HR, PA, finance) to ensure the effective and timely management of the SP project.
- Maintain effective project management and tracking tools, ensure real-time access to key information on CRC programming, and identify opportunities to strengthen and improve program effectiveness and efficiency.
- Provide ongoing guidance and regular updates to the Senior Manager regarding major project activities and milestones, critical constraints, and changes or challenges to project implementation that may result in delays or damaged stakeholder relationships.
- Identify opportunities to undertake new initiatives in line with the CRC’s strategic direction and local priority needs and identify potential sources of funding.
- As a member of the Emergency Operations Team and of the Event Lead pool, lead or support specific files or events (emergencies) as assigned. This includes overseeing the various elements required to enable contributions of delegates, cash or stocks through multilateral channels.
- Ensure effective coordination with Strategic Partnership (SP) projects against all emergency operations. Documents include and not limited to decision papers, creating requisitions, cash pledges, snapshots, memos, and timelines. Officer to coordinate such contributions with SP focal points.
- Analyze and summarize emergency related info when supporting emergency operations. Make recommendations to management on emergency response efforts as required including informing the strategic approach to the response.
- Overseeing knowledge transfer, including appropriate documentation and information management.
- Prepare financial/narrative information in order to contribute to effective planning and internal control of funds.
- Support the effective reporting and monitoring of operations.
- Liaise, represent and negotiate appropriately with CRC colleagues and external stakeholders including Government of Canada, IFRC and ICRC; Maintain positive and productive relationships with Movement stakeholders (internally across Canada and externally with Government of Canada, NS, IFRC, ICRC and PNS) to ensure an effective response
What we are looking for:
- University degree in a related field (e.g., business administration, humanitarian studies, disaster management) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five years of work experience in international emergency preparedness and response within a large global organization, including three years of experience in a managerial role.
- Experience in project implementation in international development and humanitarian contexts.
- Demonstrated success leading and managing diverse and multidisciplinary teams, preferably within a matrix environment.
- Prior experience working with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing institutional relationships/partnerships and managing relationships with multiple internal/external stakeholders.
- Experience with information management, project/program management, and results-based management, including experience planning, monitoring, and evaluating projects.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication. French language skills preferred.
- Flexibility to work non-traditional hours on short notice is required.
- This role may require domestic and overseas travel to conferences, workshops, meetings, and country operations. Field missions can involve working in environments that are unstable, offer unpredictable access to basic services in emergency contexts, and require very strict adherence to security regulations (30%)
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.