Job Title: Early Education Outreach Officer – Temporary up to March 31, 2023.
Central Region: Office locations: Grand Falls-Windsor, Glenwood, NL
Western Region: Office locations: Corner Brook, St. Georges, Stephenville, NL
Number of vacancies: Two (2): one position based in one of the Central NL office locations, and one position based in one of the Western NL office locations.
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
The Early Education Outreach Officer is responsible for assisting in the development, coordination, and delivery of the Eastern Sun Early Childcare Learning Program within Early Learning Centres. The Officer will be responsible for also assisting in the delivery of the One Sky Program, Indigenous Education Outreach Program and other child and youth special projects and initiatives. The Officer will work with Partners, schedule meetings, assist in the creation of cultural programming, deliver cultural content, and assist in the administration of programs and events.
- Assisting in the delivery of the Eastern Sun Early Childcare Learning Program, including interpretation, instruction duties. Portions of the program may take place in a land-based learning environment, including significant walking and time spent outdoors.
- Assisting in the coordination and delivery of the Indigenous Education Outreach and One Sky programs, including delivering cultural content, school visits and school event coordination
- Assisting in the development, coordination and delivery of education and child/youth special projects as identified by the Manager of Education and Training
- Coordinating professional learning sessions
- Proposal writing and reporting
- Providing support to related Education and Training projects that further the culture and heritage of the Mi’kmaq people
- Work in collaboration with Elders, Knowledge Keepers, and community members for the creation and delivery of cultural programming
The preferred candidate will have a diploma in Early Childhood Education, a Bachelor of Education, or other related field.
The preferred candidate will have teaching experience and/or experience coordinating and delivering child/youth programs. They will also have experience working as part of a team in a fast paced and dynamic work environment. Consideration will be given to those applicants who possess equivalent training and experience.
Skills: Ideal candidates will possess the following skills and abilities
- Strong organization and time management skills related to communications, gathering, and filing information, scheduling, and routine office work
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and collaboratively as required
- Comfortable and capable of working in indoor and variable outdoor conditions
- Experience in the development and delivery of educational programming, with specific experience in Indigenous education or studies.
- Experience working with children and/or youth
- Adequate energy level and ability to meet the physical demands of the job.
- Standard First Aid Certification
- Willingness to travel including overnight stays as required
This position will have duties predominantly met during regular business hours. Travel and overnight stays may be required. Additional travel and flexibility of work schedule are required throughout the year.
A portion of the work will take place in outdoor environments with variable weather conditions. Physical activity is required including walking, hiking, bending, lifting, and crouching.
If you are interested in this position, please apply with resume, covering letter, and three professional references using one of the options listed below. Please indicate in your cover letter how you meet the education and experience requirements outlined above. Submissions should be addressed to:
Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation
Mrs. Janet McAuley, Human Resources Manager
3 Church Street
Corner Brook, NL A2H 2Z4
To Apply, please use one of the options listed below:
Electronically apply by email to: [email protected] using MS Word with subject line: “Early Education Outreach Officer- Central” or “Early Education Outreach Officer- Western” based on your geographic location.
Deadline for receipt of Cover Letter and Resume: Wednesday, October 20th, 2021, at 4:00 pm.
Please Note: Diplomas/certificates for Post-Secondary Education and Training and a Code of Conduct with a vulnerable sector query is required. The successful applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a private vehicle.
QFN is an equal opportunity employer, in situations where candidates have equal credentials, preference will be given to aboriginal candidates. If you are a member of Qalipu First Nation, please indicate it in your cover letter.