Job Title: Full Time, Permanent, Community Development Officer (Business Development Officer)
Location: Office location will be determined based on geographical region of the successful applicant. Office locations are as follows: Corner Brook, St. George’s, Stephenville, Grand Falls-Windsor and Glenwood, NL.
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Salary: $42,000/per annum
Job Description: Under the direction of the Manager of Culture and Community Outreach, The Community Development Officer is responsible for facilitating community and business development opportunities through one-on-one entrepreneurial supports, the coordination of business and community development programs and projects, and the promotion of the community in order to expand economic development opportunities.
- Working directly with current and emerging Indigenous business owners to provide support and information on both internal and external business support programs and initiatives.
- Working to secure unique opportunities for those businesses registered within the Qalipu Business Network
- Acting as a liaison between local organizations, businesses and individuals and representatives of government, businesses and industry regarding business support programs and other economic development opportunities
- Managing the Qalipu Business Network website and social media channels
- Promoting and maintaining membership within the Qalipu Business Network
- Securing grant funding to expand upon business support programing and training
- Providing consistent communication to all Qalipu member businesses regarding both internal and external opportunities
- Planning and implementing business support events, such as the Annual Qalipu Business Forum
- Staying up to date on current Indigenous business funding opportunities and assisting Indigenous businesses with application writing
- Liaising with industry and government partners to promote local businesses and individuals
- Working within Qalipu First Nation’s quality management system
- Working closely with the Tourism and Community Development team to collaborate on projects and initiatives
- Representing Qalipu First Nation on various committees, working groups and at trade shows
- Facilitating community and regional networks
- Other duties as required
Education: Education requirements are a Diploma or bachelor level degree in business administration, community economic development or equivalent.
Experience: The preferred candidate will have 3 years of relevant experience specific to business support or development. They will have experience in community economic development and in working directly with individual business owners. They will also have experience working as part of a development team in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
Work Environment: Duties will predominantly be met during regular business hours. Some travel and flexibility of work schedule will be required.
Successful applications must posses a valid driver’s license and have access to a private vehicle.
If you are interested in this position, please apply with resume, covering letter, and three professional references using one of the options listed below. Submissions are to be addressed to:
Mrs. Janet McAuley, Human Resources Manager
Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation
3 Church Street
Corner Brook, NL A2H 2Z4
To Apply, please use one of the options listed below:
Electronically apply by email to: [email protected] using MS Word with subject line: “Community Development Officer”.
Deadline for receipt of Cover Letter and Resume: Friday, September 10th, 2021, at 12:30 pm.
Please note: Diplomas/certificates for Post-Secondary Education and Training and a Code of Conduct with a vulnerable sector query are required.
QFN is an equal opportunity employer, in situations where candidates have equal credentials, preference will be given to aboriginal candidates. If you are a member of Qalipu First Nation please indicate it in your cover letter.