Department: Laurier Intiernational
Job Type: Limited Term
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time (>=1249 hrs/year)
Reports to: Associate Director: International Student Support
Employee Group: WLUSA
Application Deadline: November 10, 2020
Requisition ID: 841
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
The Communications Assistant (CA) reports to the Associate Director: International Student Support. The position coordinates the communications for Laurier International’s four units (International Student Support, Global Engagement, LEAF and the Pre-MBA) and supports communications for International Student Recruitment and Partnerships (25% of the time).
The main responsibilities include supporting all aspects of Laurier International communications to student, staff and faculty at Laurier and to its partners inside and outside Canada. This includes but not limited to the promotion and marketing of Laurier International’s programs and services; recruitment, promotional and reputation efforts; researching, writing and posting spotlight stories to Laurier and Laurier International’s website and social media platforms; and producing newsletters to partner institutions, parents of international students and annual reports for stakeholders. As a result, the CA will be involved in a variety of communications, marketing and awareness raising initiatives led by Laurier International and in partnership with departments such as Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing (CPAM), International Recruitment and Admissions and any other departments that LI has partnered with.
The incumbent will be responsible for maintenance of Laurier International’s websites and social media presence. The CA will work with staff in CPAM and Recruitment and Admissions in the development of communications as it relates to the programs and services of Laurier International. The position deals extensively with individuals and groups within Laurier International and throughout the University. This is a multi-campus position located on the Waterloo campus, supporting Laurier International efforts at all campuses and offices.
- Implement Communication and Promotions Strategies
- Works closely with the leadership team of Laurier International to assist in the development and implementation of communication and promotions strategies that support the success of Laurier International’s programs and services.
- Communicate with CPAM to ensure consistent messaging and visual identity standards, and to share production and design resources;
- Establish and maintain best practices for communications with students, faculty and staff including the utilization of current and emerging information and communications technologies.
- Social Media / Web Communications:
- Provide strategic advice to the Leadership Team of Laurier International on messaging, organization and overall direction of Laurier International’s website and social media presence
- Work within Laurier’s Social Media policy and guidelines in collaboration with CPAM;
- Exercise creative initiative in the design and production of promotional materials;
- Contribute to the design, production, and distribution of all communications and promotional materials for Laurier International staff
- Promotions :
- Coordinate, produce and distribute all event, program and services promotions including the weekly email, website, social media communications for students
- Coordination of events designed to promote Laurier International programs and services such as Study Abroad Fairs and n “Get Involved Fairs”, etc.
- Video development and support for web and social media content
- Support for presentations (i.e. PowerPoint development) for staff presentation to promote programs and services
- Evaluation :
- Ensure that communication and promotional activities have appropriate success measures in place and are assessed against these measures;
- Identify new sources or methods for analyzing the effectiveness of communications and promotional activities;
- Research new marketing and communications initiatives to promote International Student Services
- Information gathering through focus groups, surveys and interviews
6) Special Communications and Promotion Projects
- Special one time projects such as student surveys, newsletters and special events
7) Support for the Intercultural Certificate
- Support in the design and organization of facilitator and student materials
- All aspects of promotion of the program
- Supporting the evaluation of the program through the design of surveys, interviews and focus groups
- Post-secondary studies in communications, marketing public relations, journalism or a related discipline
- Experience in communication including website content, publications, media, researching, social media, and e-newsletters
- Experience working with various student constituents, international students an asset
- Experience in design, writing, editing and content development
- Knowledge of the social media environment and landscape and evolving trends
- Understanding of website development and management
- Knowledge of creative software
- Exemplary interpersonal and communication abilities; ability to relate well to a variety of people and maintain trust with our target audience
- Experience dealing with communications targeted at a multi-cultural audience
- High energy and a passion for marketing and communications
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work under tight and competing deadlines
Position Grade: SH-06
Rate of Pay: $29.50 – $34.70
Hours of Work: This is a full-time, limited term position until April 30, 2021. Typical hours of work are Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
Job Evaluation Factor Scores:
|WLUSA/WLU Job Evaluation Factors
|Education and Experience
|Applied Reasoning and Analytical Skills
|Co-ordination and Planning
|Responsibility for Others
|Impact of Decisions
|Multiple Demands and Priorities
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Equity, diversity and creating a culture of inclusion are part of Laurier’s core values and central to the Laurier Strategy. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any minority sexual and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. Candidates from other equity seeking groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity & Accessibility. We have strived to make our application process accessible, however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources. Contact information can be found at careers.wlu.ca/content/How-to-Apply-/
Should you be interested in learning more about this opportunity, please visit www.wlu.ca/careers for additional information and the online application system. All applications must be submitted online. Please note, a CV and letter of introduction will be required in electronic form.