NunatuKavut Community Council Seeking Individuals to Fill Two Governing Council Positions
NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC) is seeking applications from NunatuKavut members to fill two vacant Governing Council seats, one in the area of Sandwich Bay/Island of Ponds (Area 4) and one in Central/Northern Labrador (Area 5). The applicants must be a Full Member- Resident in good-standing and a resident of the area they wish to represent.
The successful applicants will be selected and appointed by the current Governing Council, according to Article 1.5 of NCC’s Bylaws. They will serve in these positions until NCC’s next General Election in the spring of 2020.
Role of Governing Councillor
- Act in accordance with the Code of Ethics and the Standards of Behaviour;
- Know and support the strategic plan and annual work-plan;
- Consult with the membership in the Area to complete tasks on behalf of Council, when required;
- Attend meetings prepared, ask informed questions, make a positive contribution to discussions, make decisions based on evidence and keep confidential business within the Council context;
- Attend meetings and remain for the duration of the meetings;
- Work harmoniously with other Council members without either dominating the Council or neglecting an appropriate share of the work;
- Contribute personal expertise to the Council as needed;
- Support decisions and policies of the Council at all times;
- Fulfill fiduciary responsibilities;
- Disclose potential or declared conflict of interest;
- Demonstrate that the role of the Council member is one of governance; and
- Engage in evaluation of the Council as a whole and the CEO; and
- Complete work on behalf of the Council with approval (affirmative motion which specifies the statement of work which outlines the beginning and end of the commitment).
The Governing Council’s face-to-face meetings take place four times per year.
Additional meetings may be called at other times by the President and may be held by telephone or other means.
Please note these positions are voluntary. An honorarium will be provided and out -of-pocket expenses will be covered for attendance at duly convened meetings.
How to apply
Please submit a completed application form (attached) by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, October 19, 2018 to:
President Todd Russell
NunatuKavut Community Council
In Person: 200 Kelland Drive, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador